April 24, 2009


Dear all,

It was a pleasure working with all of you last week. Each of you produced an amazing body of work in just 5 days! Congratulations. Upon returning to Philly, I headed straight to Penn to help my own students install their final exhibition of work. I talked up your work considerably. Two exhibitions in two days . . . whew! I'd love to see some photos of the final exhibition. Send them my way if you have any. Stay in touch and best to you in your final term stretch.

For those of you that are interested in pushing ahead with some of the concepts and techniques that I introduced, following are some great websites to consult. I also highly suggest that you check out Informal by Cecil Balmond, 1000 Years of Nonlinear History by Manuel De Landa and essays by Sanford Kwinter.







April 21, 2009


Hi all,

I dropped off the last batch of laser-cut files for the plexi early this morning (including your updated files, Chris - thx). I have also sent the remaining drawings. All of the drawings have plotted (finished this morning at 7:30!). So, we should be good to go. Please pick up your laser-cut pieces and assemble + paint your models. Also, we will need to trim the drawings down. Please bring some cutting mattes and cutting knives.

see you at 1:30,


April 19, 2009

Schedule Update

Hi all,

The first batch of laser-cut models are coming out. Chris just assembled his first and it looks great! Another great day of work. Congrats! Please pick up your laser-cut pieces and begin assembling your models. Please bring your completed models to the AIR office tmro. I will be there all day tmro starting at 10:30am.

IMPORTANT: Please email me your drawings in pdf format tonight. We are going to plot them tmro afternoon. If they are large, please send them through www.yousendit.com It's a free service as long as your files are not larger than 100mb:).

So, here's the schedule for tmro.


10:30am - Jenny will be in the AIR office, No. 134. Please email or drop off your remaining .dwg files for laser-cutting by this time.

1pm - Whoever is available, please meet in front of the computer lab. We will load the paper and start printing the drawings.

5pm - Jenny's lecture.


1:30pm - Final exhibition installation. Please meet in the gallery space. All laser-cut models and drawings must be completed and plotted by this time.

April 18, 2009

Game Plan

Hi all,

To recap:

3D Prints

So, after talking with Trent, there will be two batches of 3D prints going through. The first batch went through tonight and included the smaller file sizes. These will be printed, washed and cured by Tuesday. The second batch will go through tmro and includes heavier file sizes. This run will take upwards 62 hours, so, they will be done Wed or Thurs. Please add these models to the gallery exhibition once they are complete. 


As mentioned, you should have at least two 36"x36" 'matrix' process drawings (one each for the looping/knotting studies and the wave grid studies). You should also have between two to six 36"x36" single drawing/image plots. These could be entirely line work or renderings. I would like these drawings to reference areas of interest that you may have not been able to print, etc. Or, perhaps they feature areas of study that the 3D print and/or wave grid panel may not. Think big, bold and beautiful. 

Tile/Wall Laser Cut panels

Tmro, we will begin our Laser Cut studies. By 11am, you should have two wave grid studies to start with. The goal is to build a wall/panel system from all of the individual tiles. We will send the first batch of files to the laser cutter by 3 or so. 

See you tmro at 11am. Great work today!


April 17, 2009

Script Folders

Hi all,

So, I'm not allowed to post zip folders to the blog. I have most of your email addresses. I will send them via email shortly. Download the folders and unzip. Simply open the files in notepad, copy and paste in the script editor window in Rhino. Have fun and see you all tmro at 11am in the computer lab. We will review your matrix drawings then.


April 16, 2009

Jenny Sabin: Cory Arcak

Robert LeRicolais (1894-1977) was an artist, philosopher, architect, engineer, scientist and mathematician. In the article Interviews with Robert Le Ricolais, we are introduced to a man that finds "beauty in failure" and prides himself on his "vicious curiosity." His passion is structures and as he foresees the increased pace of humanity he ponders and investigates the isssues of mass public transit that will be necessary to move the increased population from bridges to elevated rail systems. All the while knowing that the more we know and the more we create the less we will be able to use. He honors our forerunners ( basket weavers, early designers) while he questions current intellectual ability; "You just come to realize how much more ingenious our forerunners were in the art of structures. Maybe we know too many things now-we learn, we analyze, and yet we rarely discover things as wonderful as the queen post." This leads directly into his desire for and focus on simplicity followed by his warning of simplistic human reasoning "Maybe I'm an idiot, but I know we have to be careful of our simple impressions of things, thinking that what a man cannot bend is very strong. It's putting too much of our ego into the whole system." And though he warns of the ego interfering with design and structures he encourages the cultivation of human intuition in understanding the "nature of things" when designing in the studio, " we can only appropriate and fully possess what we ourselves discover."

He valued research for the sake of research. In his studio/lab he focused on minimal surfaces, a homogeneity of tension, making light structures with heavy materials, adding force into a system increases material strength, finding the structural dimensions in nature (skeletons, eggshells, bee hives, crystals) and working with the "voids" because it is in the voids that Le Ricolais finds the "truth." It is in knowing where to place the voids that he says is the art of making a structure.

Key terms for Le Ricolais-curiosity, challenge, patience, mystery, convergence, intuition, simplicity, imagination

April 11, 2009

Fun with Algorithms! Workshop Info

Hi all,

Hopefully, you have all had a chance to sift through the readings that I posted. I have enjoyed reading through your summaries and answering your questions. Before the start of the workshop, please be sure to skim through the Scripting Primer that I posted. Also, I believe Carol is helping you with the download of the trial version of Rhino 4. You should have this downloaded and installed by the start of the workshop. I will assume that you are all new to Rhino and scripting, so, don't worry about not having experience prior to the workshop. Below is a general outline for the workshop. I suggest that students work in groups of 2-3, but am open to individual projects if some of you prefer to work alone. I will be working on several models alongside you. You are free to join in, ask questions, etc. at any moment. See you soon!

Day 1: SCRIPTING FUN! Lecture by Jenny and Introduction to scripting in Rhino. Scripting explorations and production of first matrix catalogue drawing.

Review initial drawings (plotted) and begin fabrication planning. Additional scripting investigations and formal assemblies

Digital model prep; first batch of .stl files sent to 3D printer and .dwg files to laser cutter.

Second and final batches of .stl files sent to 3D printer and .dwg files to laser cutter. Fabrication and assembly of models. Final drawings sent to plotter.

Gallery set-up and opening. Carol, is it possible to have an evening opening of the student work on Tuesday, 21st?

Fun with Algorithms!

Hi all,

I'm looking forward to our workshop next week. Attached, are a few images to get you going. We will be generating a lot of algorithmic patterns, geometries, forms, constructions and physical models. Have you ever thought about weaving or braiding a building? Please take a look at my latest post in the 'from Artist' section of the blog for further info. on the workshop

All the Best,

April 6, 2009

Rebar photos

Heres some of the photos from Friday...


Theres more on the N drive at Langford under AiR Photos I believe...

Rebargroup: Mike Droske

If only we had a little more time...

I just wanted to thank JB, Blaine, everybody on my team, and the whole workshop for the great experience...

Here's a link I found that looks a lot like what ours might have looked like, if we had only a little more time (and expanded polypropylene).

http://www.movisi.com/pages/product_ljubljana_chairAlso, on a somewhat unrelated note, here's a link, via MAKE, to an "open source" furniture design service. Designers post CAD files, instructions, photos, etc., and industrious makers out there craft 'em up. Pretty cool and open-ended, so it's somewhat related to this workshop after all...


some workshop pics.
thanks all,

April 4, 2009


If someone makes an "AiR" folder on the Shared Drive on Monday, will everyone drop their pictures in to share? I'd love to have shots of everyone having fun :)

April 3, 2009

The big day!

Wow...what an amazing day! Thank you all for making it happen. Everyone's project turned out so well and we made so many people question, laugh, and smile! I cant imagine a better group of folks to work with or a better outcome for the workshop!

I'm off to the GSD for the ecological urbanism conference.

Look forward to seeing the documentary of our time together. In the meantime, here's some pics.

Big Love,


Intervention day

Here's the Friday plan:

Have your interventions up and ready to go by 11:30. If you can/want to get started early and have some experience of your intervention before then, go for it.

Meet @ 11:30 AM in bottom floor of Langford A. We'll do some checking in and then go out for a tour of the intervention sites. Here's the current map of your sites. The link is http://www.tinyurl.com/dzrsnk.

If you need someone to stay with your intervention, we can figure out a rotation, or see if you can get a friend who's not in the class to keep an eye on it for you. Or, perhaps it can be left on its own for a while.

April 2, 2009

Rebargroup: Ricardo Solar

Bushwaffle at the GSD!
good luck tomorrow!

Rebargroup: Michael Wilson

Fire Hose Installation:

Anyone who is not active in a group or just wants to help, we will be installing Ricardo's fire hose concept at 5:00 today near the grassy knoll in front of Langford A. Call me if you have any questions (979-204-1110) and thanks ahead of time for your help!

Michael Wilson

April 1, 2009

Rebargroup: Chris Gassaway

this is the Yorkshire Diamond Pavilion by Various Architects... the design is based on the lattice structure of a diamond. the entire structure is inflatable as well...hmmm

Rebargroup: Chris Gassaway

so here are some things that might help the bench intervention group...

these next two designs deal with the sheathing effect that you guys talked about

but i think there is also the possibility of treating your intervention as a sort of growth on the benches...

this growth may add an extended function to the bench or maybe it just draws peoples attention to the fact that the bench actually exists...



Rebargroup: fire hose group (ricardo, michael, barbara, marie gabriel, chris, )

This is the concept for the fire hose group. Anyone not active in a group is welcome to help Michael, Chris and Barbara set this up! There is also a can of yellow paint if anyone wants to experiment with painting one of the hoses, painting all of them may not be feasible. Contact Barbara or Michael if you have any questions.


Rebargroup: Katie Smither

Art and Design

This is helpful when looking at the bench project.  But in general....Yes.  There are so many things right about this.

What I find really interesting is that there seems to be so much STUFF like this out there.  It's saying something, it's almost useful, it's almost sculpture, it's almost kitsch, and if it were at a dollar store you would look down on it.  

I won't disclose yet whether I think this is art or design, (I will after ya'll have given your opinions.) But this a good conversation to bring up, art and design.  What are the differences.
Does design have to mean usability and must that usability be a physical solution?  If it doesn't have to be physical, then its use is emotional or psychological.....which is where art often operates. 
Is it art?  It's saying big things about existence in a certain condition.  About peril, potential, risk, fear, anticipation, desire, destruction......there is narrative and it is open for your interpretation.  But shouldn't good design have these big conceptual questions in mind?

This is why I think this mug is great though, because (based on my still secret definitions of art and design), I'm not positive what category this falls into.......which (I think) makes it good. 
Sorry for the rambling, I'm bringing this up because this is where we are operating.....art/design/architecture/landscaping.......what are they?
Do you have to know to do good work?  Can you blend the lines and how do you do it well. 

I think it's an important conversation, maybe one I should have considered earlier in this project. What do ya'll think about this?  What is art, what is design, and what makes them such?   Why?   I want to hear, all of you please comment!  Thanks kiddos! Later,

Katie (here's the link) Smither

Rebargroup: Katie Smither

I feel like that's a song title or something.....
Ok so I need to get to the surplus warehouse for more chairs......desperately.
If you have time Wed. (today) morning or early afternoon, or you have a car I can borrow, please let me know....for this project to function there has to be more chairs.  Let me know guys and thanks a million,


March 31, 2009

Rebargroup: Chris Gassaway

so here is the research that goes along with the "dome" inflatable

i initially started by thinking of objects and installations that i had seen for myself that in some way exemplified the characteristics of being interactive and an intervention of some sort...

so thus...

the installation outside the Blanton Museum of Art in Austin, TX

i always see people  weaving/tying knots/swinging/hanging in the strands when i go by it...


this chair by Jonny Detiger is equipped with dials to modulate a pre-recored looped sound... so the soundscape was then changed due to the interaction of the person sitting in it...

in both instances an object that was interacted with through touch created a completely new and different experience for the surroundings

with the idea of building an inflatable object of some sort i polled some students in my studio about objects that "wanted" to be touched... the answers i received reminded me of a scene
from "Hable con ella" (Talk to Her) by Pedro Almodovar...

the idea then became about creating a large scale portion of the human body as a sort of inflatable addition to the a sites existing topography...

by people climbing on top of the form they would be changing and shaping it in a way specific to their weight ,body shape, and interaction position. Also the people on top of the structure would then be changing the experience for the people possibly within the structure.

typically human forms are interacting with the objects around them... by creating an object that is based on a human form a role reversal starts to take place..

eventually, even with the added support of fans or blowers the form would start to concave creating a new effect/affect

here are a couple of proposed ways for constructing such a form as suggested by Ant Farm...

the desired method for bonding/joining each piece would be the iron/aluminum heat sink method that is described by Ant Farm

hand drawings and sketches will follow once i scan them...



fire hose installation

Hey guys, our group...Ricky, Michael, Marie and I...are working on some sort of interactive group hammock/slack line/playground like in the monkey exhibit in the zoo type idea made of fire hoses. We have done some test installations to work out some of the kinks and figure out how this thing is going to work. All this to say anyone who does not have a group or project they are working on, you are more than welcome to join us! Ricky and Michael will both be gone for the set up of the installation, Thursday evening sometime, so we will take all the help we can get. Ricky is doing a rendering of what it will look like, so we will just have to set it up. I believe JB and Blaine are going to be helping so its a good excuse to spend time with them and learn from them too. Let me know!

Rebargroup: Mike Droske

Bench Intervention

Ok, here's a quick post describing the dimensions of the concrete benches at Diversity Plaza:

Length: 96"
Width: 24 1/4"
Height: Varies between 15 1/2- 16"

And some quick sketches of some possible designs for the overlay/sheath/thingy:

Group 1 Supplies

Group 1 (Briana, Sloan, Cory)
Supplies needed: Lemonade Yellow spray paint (is there such a thing?), 10 bottles tempera or other "child" safe paint in multiple colors and wire...

...they don't belong here!

Rebar scaled up its most recent iteration of the Triwaffle (naming suggestions anyone?), the trigonal planar geometry similar to a boron trifluoride molecule, to a 5' diameter inflated size.

To all in the class: if you have yet to land in a group, find a specific project that you're on track with for Friday, or are feeling otherwise undercommitted, let John and me know--we can show you how to heat seal an inflatable and assist us in producing additional prototype geometries over the next two days. We'd love to have your help, but please volunteer only if you've got some bandwidth in addition to your group commitments. We will be continuing to produce more of these and other variations over the next three days.

OK, now more on the process. First a large-scale "ironing board" is created:

The foil underneath helps sink the heat and keeps the double layer of plastic from sticking to the plywood or the iron.

Next we iron the layers of plastic together to form a seal.

After everything is sealed, we inflate!

And cut out the excess plastic.

... and enjoy. mmm, trigonal planarwaffle....

Rebargroup: Katie Smither

Materials:  I sent you an email, but here it is again. 

In addition to the cardboard bench, I'm working on the non site-specific chairs.   I still need to get the chairs unfortunately.  And I'll be needing to buy spray paint, a lot of it, and some good paper to make stencils out of, maybe masking tape.  I am hoping to be at Home Depot when you're there, Carol  I'm thinking that it would probably be much cheaper to buy spray paint at Walmart, but maybe that's wrong....if worst comes to worst though, I'll just bring the receipts to be reimbursed.  Thanks so much!

Katie Smither

Rebargroup: Barrett Davis

Our group is planning on having a cardboard installation. There is not a specific site other than the various concrete benches around the campus. It is going to be designed to fit in with any of the benches of said dimensions.

One of us will be with the object(s) at all times and it will most likely not stay in one spot through the entire time of the "happenings."

As far as materials are concerned, we only have one expense which should be glue. This fee should not go over $30 - given a liberal estimate. Otherwise, we are using all recycled cardboard. A good portion of it was received from the furniture store in town.

In summary
- Not site specific (fits into/out of benches around campus)
- Expense: <$30 of glue/glue guns.

Rebargroup: Group 1 (Briana, Cory, and Sloan)

Group 1 tested out some paint on plastic material today! Looks like some cheap, washable kids' paint is going to work for this first run of the Mobile Gallery :) We developed a game plan for assembling everything, as well. Thursday will be our work day.

Like with Michele Brody, I've added a new Rebargroup set on my Flickr account. Clicking the picture will take you there!

Rebargroup: Katie Smither

To the group doing the painting intervention:

I guess this is probably sprayed before it is hung, otherwise it would have dripped and run.  

streetsy.com for more -  Katie

Rebargroup: Katie Smither

Haha, 'they don't belong here'.   No matter where you are.....that's a compliment.  Maybe, I mean, unless it's like at your mom's house.  Sad day.

If you've been following the inflatables this will relate, I'm not sure if ya'll look at Yatzer,  but check it out, a recent post semi ties into some things you guys are investigating.  Happy blogging.
Katie (is sorry, Chris)  Smither

Rebargroup - Barrett Davis

Standing around and waiting for my group this evening, I overheard some students looking at the inflatables that JB and Blaine have been setting up.

"This stuff is strange..."

"You can tell they don't belong here...."

The remarks were in good humor. They were interested in what fashion the inflatables were going to be used. Furthermore, I must say that this is exactly why I am so excited for Friday to come sooner rather than later. :-) It will be fun to witness other people's reactions, indeed.


On a side note, we are no longer planning to create Tetris pieces. Instead we are planning on fitting elements into existing benches and/or other objects around campus to either change or enhance their functionality. The objects will most likely still be created from cardboard. And they should surely still be as fun.

March 30, 2009

Marie-Gabrielle Alétru

On campus, outside of the MSC and in front of Rudder Fountain, on the Stark Galleries entrance.

César's car compression

Baldaccini, César - "Compression" -
(1960) - Image Copyright © web.tiscali.it/
- Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York
(cf. Nouveau Réalisme - "Compression"
- César Baldaccini

(for the process: recycled material compressed; for the shape --cube or box--; for the colors; for the art reference)

+ Buren's columns of Palais Royal, Paris, France

colonnes de Buren #2

(for the rigorous spatial occupation, repartition, and alignment; for the sober but powerful use of contrast and black and white; for the concrete contemporary material; for a visually coherent but individually different height and wideness --diversity of human size and shape--; for the playful atmosphere; for the artistic reference to the greek antique architecture and contemporary art)

+ low tech weather proof recycling inexpensive materials

+ print on what is going on inside the galleries

= invitational sitting for any art galleries
(à suivre)

Materials / Status update

OK Gang!

We've done one trip to the surplus yard and brought back materials for two projects:

Group 1( Brianna, Cory, Sloan): Large aluminum tube frame for Mobile Art Gallery.

Group 4( Ricardo, Barbara...Marie, Micheal?): Firehose tubing for Firehose furniture

I believe Group 2 (Katie, Barret, Mike, Charul) has found a source for cardboard.

We have not heard from Group 3 (Kristina, Ting, Teresa, John).

I think Chris is working solo on an inflatable dome project.

At this point we would like for y'all to commit to a project concept, finalize your materials needs, and post your concept to the Blog. We're a little concerned that a few folks are pursuing individual ideas and may not have the tools, materials, or support they need to accomplish the project by Friday.

Chris, are you working solo or have you joined a team?

Katie, are you working with your team on the cardboard tetris concept or are you forming a team to pursue the alphabet chair idea?

Please keep in mind that any materials we've borrowed from the Surplus yard need to be returned. Blaine and I leave on Friday and Saturday. We need (at least) two volunteers to be responsible for borrowing a truck (Carol, can students use your truck?) loading materials, and returning to the Surplus yard.

On purchasing supplies, this from Carol:

The way we purchase materials is to check out a credit card (employees must do this, like faculty or staff) and accompany people to the store and sign off. I've pledged up to $100 of petty cash funding out of my pocket for small things, for the whole workshop, in case people need little stuff.

My suggestion for supplies is that one person from each group put a list together of supplies and estimated costs. Put the list together for the whole class and send it to me. I can then schedule someone to go with you to purchase.

If you need to purchase supplies, please reply to this thread and post your material needs here. One or two folks should plan to meet with Carol and go buy supplies on Tuesday.

If you need more stuff from the surplus yard, let us know ASAP.

If you haven't posted a concept, please do. If you haven't committed to an idea or come up with a materials sourcing plan, we suggest you join an existing team and help with one of the great ideas already posted like Firehose furniture, or Alphabet chairs.

JB cell: 415-350-8257
BAM cell: 510-310-5698

OK......off to make ART!

Ricardo Solar: fire hose furniture

Hey guys,
I am considering utilizing some of the fire hoses available at the surplus to construct reshapeable furniture. Here are some sketches of what I have in mind. I still need to figure out what im going to fill the fire hoses with, hopefully filling them up with air doesn't end up being too difficult--perhaps water is the way to go. Because i have to be out of town on Wednesday i need all the help i can get Monday and Tuesday from anyone interested.

Rebargroup: Katie Smither

Also, as I mentioned before, there had been general discussion of the 'mobile chair text messaging' project and I really like this simple idea.  I think it has the potential to work.  I'm planning on getting the rolling chairs this morning at the surplus warehouse and addressing them as soon (and as quickly) as possible.  I'll be looking for a good site for them, I'm kind of thinking the covered library area we were playing in......there is a large section that does not have any seating and is really a waste of good space.   But I need to see if they'll roll well over there....we'll see.  Keep you posted.  Later.

Katie Smither

Rebargroup: Katie Smither

Ready and post!

Our group (Katie, Barrett, Mike, and Charul) has been working hard at finding materials and began the prototype of a building block piece today....didn't go so well.  Took entirely too long to manufacture and there are not large enough pieces of cardboard available.  Right now we're re-examining the approach, the materials, the way we're using them, etc.  Hopefully we will have a clearer direction tomorrow.

Sorry for the switch up!  

Katie Smither

March 29, 2009


Hi folks,
Looks like things are shaping up. If you have a date/time for a newsworthy event, email me. Press coverage can bring more people to the site.

Rebargroup: Group 1 (Briana, Cory, and Sloan)

Mobile Art Gallery:

Group 1 will be making a mobile art gallery. Basically a big canvas with wheels, the intervention can be tried out in a variety of locations, but for April 3rd we're going to use Diversity Plaza.

Purpose behind this intervention:
1. We wanted follow the Rebar example, meaning we provide something interactive with opportunities for play.
2. With the MSC and the art galleries housed there closing for the next three years without relocation, we hope to raise Aggie awareness of art on campus.
3. Aggies need an outlet for self-expression, creativity, and discovery that is beyond the classroom.
4. We want to show that art can be anywhere, not just a typical gallery space. Also, art can be anything-- a painting, a sculpture, and even a process.

Notes from the review with Rebar:
1. We'll paint the frame and accompanying chairs to match, making them identifiable as a set.
2. Time-lapse photographs will document the evolution of the canvas, capturing the conversation and story.

March 28, 2009

3d tessellation

Greetings All,

Today we were hard at work in the studio. Thank you to all those who dropped in to see us!
(BTW Katie, you left some mail on our worktable in case you are looking for it)

As you are all developing your projects, Blaine and I are working on advancing the design of the Bushwaffle. In addition to helping y'all work on you're sites and ideas, we hope to have something to show and contribute to our group exhibition Friday.

Part of what we are exploring are alternate potential geometries for the Bwaffle. We started with the 5 pointed star shape, which works reasonably well (as you all experienced on our tour) and now we are looking into shapes that might work better in terms of folding and connecting to create larger and more interesting structures.

What we're interested in is 3d tessellation. We're hoping to get the Bushwaffle to function more like this:

In doing some research on the topic I've bumped into the practice of modular orgami, which seems to have some promise in terms of what we are after.

a stellated icosahedron

and thats leading me into research into molecular geometry. I'm posting this to see if anyone has any contacts on campus for people who are exploring this kind of stuff whom we could talk to.

Is this the next generation Bushwaffle?

Surplus store

Katie, Mike, Charul, JB, and Blaine went to the surplus depot. Here are the photos of what we found there that might be useful.

We will coordinate a return trip to the depot on Monday. Reply to this thread if you see something you need and what your schedule is like Monday...

March 27, 2009

Rebargroup: Mike Droske


Ok, well it looks like this idea isn't that original:

But maybe we can put a spin on it by making it BIGGER!
Yeah, tetris pieces that are more 3-D, more modular, and that you can sit on/lounge on /sleep on/survey the realm from...

I'm talking big tetris.

If we're going to do this in Diversity Plaza, it's gotta be big. Foam would be so perfect for this. Cardboard might work, too. Are there some cheap/readily available sources of foam anywhere?

Rebargroup: Katie Smither


We went to the surplus warehous....outlet.....place? The pictures will be up soon, maybe via a link, but I have another thought on a potential project we talked about using mobile chairs. Simply, we found these old chairs with wheels attached to the base and there was talk about giving them to the public for their interpretation and use. Perhaps with some sort of guideline of where the chairs belong....a place designated as their home. See JB and Blaine for the scoop.

Quick idea.....rather than saying "Please Sit" on each painted chair.....perhaps each chair has one letter of the phrase "PLEASE SIT" painted on it. That way you are able to initially instruct the public, but eventually the use of the chairs are completely up to the players. The users can direct others from there if they choose, with the individual pieces or letters. All the parts allow a different interpretation of the whole depending on who's playing. Maybe this idea is not realized best as letters on separate chairs....that might be a little bit too obvious....but perhaps this is another way to think about the chair project. I think it's interesting that each piece would contribute something unique, while still being integral to the whole project. What are ya'lls ideas? Alright, done and done, see ya'll soon.

Katie Smither

Rebar: Blaine Merker

Blaine Merker directs Rebar with Matt Passmore and John Bela. His background and training are in landscape architecture (MLA Berkeley, 2005), history (BA Reed College, 1998), construction, activism and theater. Originally from Oregon but raised partly in Amersterdam and Zurich. Currently based in San Francisco he works during the week at Royston Hanamoto Alley and Abey, a landscape architecture and urban design firm. Interests: the intersection of theory and practice, quietly bringing radical ideas into prosaic realms of everyday life; deconstructing the beliefs underlying spatial habits; how modes of transportation affect world view; crafting objects and situations that provide joy, relief and puzzlement; exploring wild nature in its urban and non-urban forms. Special powers include messaging vague notions into academic sounding prose, listening to all sides of a story, and including eggs in almost any dish.